Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Challenges and Restraint


This week Laura's challenge is inspired by the Beads of Courage Project and its fundraising Color Run. She introduced a watercolor technique I've not seen before, called "Hefty Hack" where you apply color onto a plastic bag (I used a small sheet of acetate), spritz or brush your white tile with a little water, then lay the tile onto the watercolor then lift it off. If you want you can add droplets of color and/or sprinkle with some salt (let it dry and then rub the salt off).

The Color Run
I OCD'd ran with this new watercolor technique, creating a whole new set of tiles and ATC's. By complete coincidence, one of my Facebook groups just posted a new swap challenge where one of the options is to use color and salt-Excellent!

Pattern: "Socc" with Mr. E and Tipple

Last week, as I was writing my post, it occurred to me to try using coffee rings as my strings, I mean, you'd think that was a no brainer for this blog but sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees. 
Anyhoo, I set up 5 watercolor ATC's last week using different sized cups...


...then added the smaller circles with a shot glass to this one when the string was presented on Monday. I'm really looking forward to these challenges.
A personal challenge of mine is trying to exercise restraint. I like to fill up space. It's my thing. It's my style. Nothing wrong in that. Mostly. Sometimes things get murky because I have to shadow and highlight everything. That became clearly evident when I found myself working these to death:
Tangle within a Tangle swap series 1-4
Big Skye/Little Skye

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with them, but there were a couple (not shown) that I pretty much covered up all of the blue background. So when I completed this new set of watercolors I decided to embrace "The Elegance of Limitations", as Rick Roberts says, so that the colors and texture weren't obliterated.
This restraint was also brought about by yet another swap group I started participating in last week. It's called the Travelling Tangles Project. I start a tile or ATC then post and offer it up to someone else to swap and finish (or I can request to finish someone else's offering). 


For the Travelling Tangles Project
Microns, markers, colored pencil and white gel pen on watercolor

I sent these out last week after creating a set of watercolor tiles breaking out of my usual color palette of earthtone/Renaissance browns and blues.

I'm pondering a series of posts inspired by my involvement in swaps. I belong to several groups now (the first one I've been doing for a year now) and I see comments all the time by newbies who fear that they're "not good enough" to participate, I know I was one of them. I'm hoping to try to encourage lurking members to participate, because there's no better way to improve your art than by doing it with purpose.

The most valuable lesson I learned: The sooner you get original art into your hands, the better. Then study, copy and practice, practice, practice. By copying, I mean teach yourself technique. I will go into this in a future post. Stay tuned!

If any of you are interested in doing a personal swap, please don't hesitate to email me at michelewynne1 (at) gmail (dot) com. or PM me at my facebook page. Let me know if there's a tile or ATC you've seen here that you would like to swap for.

Who wouldn't love to open up your mailbox and find this:
 These made their way into my mailbox today, each across a different ocean, from two friends at the Travelling Tangles Project, one from Singapore, the other from Germany.
I'll post the results next week.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Your generous and thoughtful comments delight and inspire me.


26 comments:

  1. Well I read this with comments bubbling away in the background and by the time I finished, I couldn't remember what I was going to say! I admire your work and i really love the colours on your two swap tiles for someone else to complete. I'd love to swap with you too - just to get my hands on your work! (I know, I know, I already have a couple but sometimes more is more...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret! of course I'd be delighted to swap with you;-) Is there something you've seen here on the blog that you'd like or shall I surprise you?

      Delete
  2. I always like your way of colouring, these tiles are really very nice, especially the one for the DIva has beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria! I definitely ventured out of my comfort zone with that tile. I had fun creating that set of tiles;-)

      Delete
  3. Nice beads of courage! It is inspiring to follow your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! Between the challenges, the Facebook groups and swaps, inspiration is everywhere and it's exciting to pass it along. I appreciate your generous comments;-)

      Delete
  4. WOW! Your work is so Beautiful! I really love the colors and how you combined them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anja! Yes, it looks like I've opened up a whole new palette of color possibilities;-)

      Delete
  5. You mention that "Sometimes things get murky" in your work. Personally, I like the murkiness you create. It is quite different to how other people use colour, at least on the blogs I visit. I'd been interested to watch a video of you creating something, just to see how manage to get such intensity in. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss L! I've been trying to take pictures of something in progress as I don't have the bandwidth for video, but I keep forgetting to photograph steps or I'm working at night with incandescent light that my camera hates. I'm working on it though. Thank you for your interest and I truly appreciate your lovely comments;-)

      Delete
  6. I think this is a great reminder that even those artists you admire still have artistic struggles. :D
    I receive comments, sometimes, that go along the lines of "everything you make is wonderful. you make it look so easy!" And while that's lovely to hear, what people don't see is the amount of time and effort that goes into thinking about new techniques, or how to use new tangles in a creative manner... Everyone has struggles! And it's good to be reminded of that sometimes. :)

    I love your Skye series. And I can't wait to see how you complete my tile for the Travelling Tangles swap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! Yes there is definitely a struggle with every piece I do. Usually it pays off in the end but it's the piece that disappoints where I learn the most.
      I'm looking at your TTP piece right now, planning my strategy;-) It's gorgeous and I'm thinking restraint is the best approach.

      Delete
  7. Love, love, love all your images. I'm one of the lurkers in the Travelling Tangles group and I'm building up to swapping, I really am! I like what you said about over filling tiles - I found this Diva Challenge so liberating, and really loved my results from it. http://iamthedivaczt.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/weekly-challenge-243.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ragged Ray! I put this quote on my grad school application/essay some 20+ years ago: "Do One Thing Each Day That Scares You"-Eleanor Roosevelt. I'm planning my next blog post around that as it relates to swapping;-)

      Delete
  8. Michele, your work is so much inspiring for me, I wish I had some more time to try some more.... I love the idea of the coffee circles and what you creatd on them and your beads are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone! I wish I more time to try some more too;-) I had a lot of fun with those beads and I sure have enough tiles to do it.

      Delete
  9. You always have such an interesting and creative touch to all your tiles. Very colorful and unique! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! It's always fun discovering new techniques and getting out of comfortable ruts.

      Delete
  10. Really beaut! I just wanted to pick up your beads off the page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I was reading your comment about overcrowding your work, I glance up at some prints that I have of pieces done by Maria Thomas. Amazing at how similar yours looked to hers. Give yourself a break and embrace your own style :) Your beads are lovely and the color is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! What a lovely compliment. I know I'm my own worst critic and though my comfort zone is a pretty nice place it's good to shake things up now and again;-)

      Delete
  12. What a fantastic post! Michele, you give us all so much inspiration through your posts: from how-to's to sharing your personal struggles with your art. I am grateful for you and your blog. I don't think your work is murky is at all. I love the softness and watery feeling your blue tiles, the patina and earthy feel in your browns. I can't wait to see the coffee tiles finished. And I may just venture out into the world of Traveling Tangles before long! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment...well...compliments;-) One of the topics I'm pondering for a blog post regarding the value of getting original art in your hands: It's a lot different than pictures on a computer screen. I masks detail and, for lack of a better word, "imperfection". Thanks for all of your encouragement!

      Delete