Wednesday, March 25, 2015

String Challenge #85 & More



It's a String Thing Challenge #85 with Mumsy, Kelp and Printemps

This was a relaxing challenge. I love drawing Printemps, It's my go-to filler but I rarely use it in larger chunks of space.

Mooka for Square One Purely Zentangle

This week's challenge at the Facebook group Square One: Purely Zentangle was Mooka. I have a love-hate relationship with Mooka. I love how it looks when drawn by the folks who get it and of course, and most especially, the elegance and beauty of Maria's work (creator of Mooka and co-founder of Zentangle). I've hated every single attempt I've made at it...until finally, I think I've got it! I still can't go at a blank tile without warming up first. The most important lesson I've learned with mooka is the shading and fill space really makes a difference.

O patterns: Orbs-la-dee and O-zone 

Here are a couple of new patterns I was playing around with at the museum today. I'd packed up all my gear and pedaled off. I like to sit in the beautiful cafe, sip on some tea and draw. I got myself all settled in and realized I forgot my bag of pens. All I had were two red/orange Microns and my little watercolor set that I'd tucked in my backpack at the last minute.  Anyhoo, I just made do with what I had. Today's sketch plan:

I just happened to come across O-zone this morning whilst making note of the challenges I wanted to catch up on at Jane Monk's One Tangle Facebook Group. At the museum I literally just started doodling a bunch of sketchy circles then filling in the gaps, so this is a bit fussier than Jane's original step-out. I had been practicing "Oof" this morning for catch-up on last week's Square One: Purely Zentangle Challenge. 

Update 3/27:
Tangle a border print

I came up with this border pattern riff on the O pattern challenge from the other day whilst pondering this week's Made by Joey challenge. It reminded me of a futon bedspread I used to have waaayy back in college.

Thanks for stopping by. Your comments always brighten my day!


6 comments:

  1. Oh! that mooka is so eye catching! wow! I've never seen o-zone either. Did you create that one? Love that sample out of your sketchbook. It's always so good to see people's work, and their processes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks HeidiSue! "O-zone" is one of Jane Monk's patterns. The link is to the step out I found on the Facebook page for the group One Tangle: 52 Tangles in 52 Weeks. There are some great challenges there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun Joey challenge - it really works for me!! :) Cool you have found this tangle you are enjoying!! Your O patterns are cool!!

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/03/my-joeys-tangle-a-border-print-challenge-entry
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/03/my-new-to-me-o-entry-for-suzymosh-creations-challenges

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your challenge and sketchbook with us! Love that Mooka!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. That mooka is so beautiful!
    Thanks for showing your sketchbook. What a great idea to go to the museum and draw.

    ReplyDelete