Friday, September 25, 2020

Journals to the People: Tea & Roses


This is another repurposed Reader's Digest book covered with collage paper and a strip of tea towel printed with vintage botanical images. For the past several years one our regular customers at the market where I work give these tea towels as a holiday gift to each of our staff. A few of my co workers have given me theirs and I've hoarded them.
This is one of four challenge journals for The Marketplace at Nevermore Creations so there were digital kits that were required. The theme was tea and florals.


This is a little notebook I saw on Patricia Viramontes' channel. I've got a lot of book pages to use. 
One of my neighbors left a bunch of Victoria magazines in our lobby about the time I began thinking about this theme so that was cool. It's not really my style but I had a very inspiring harvest of them.
I love using the illustrations from the Readers Digest books. 
I did a bunch of paper dying using magnolias.



The leaves are copies of my original watercolors. Book page collage with a decorative napkin, dyed doily and stitching.




Tag and journaling card from the Readers Digest cover papers





A print of one of my mixed media backgrounds.


I'm really happy with how this series came out and enjoyed the process of completing one book at a time though I still struggle with using the digitals and the more beautiful the digital the harder it seems for me because I have to resist the inclination to serve the digital art rather than using it in a way that serves me. I wanna deconstruct it all toss everything in big bowl and make a collage salad 😉

I still haven't quite decided whether or not to do the next challenge. It's Winter/Holiday themed but the required digitals are skewed heavily toward Christmas. Got nothing against Christmas but I don't have anything Christmas...but... there's a reason it's called a challenge.












No comments:

Post a Comment