Friday, August 31, 2018

My Week in Art


Duo-Challenge
Throwback Diva #1: Simplicity
It's a String Thing #257: "Twilight"

To me, simplicity means back to basics with the Z string and my good ol' Mac 'n Cheese patterns.
I was intrigued by "Twilight", Adele's choice for IAST #257. I knew, as I was working through this, I would need contrast. All of the line work was down and I started with Twilight and then balance with blacked out Mooka. I don't think I've ever done that before. I like it.
One of my on going challenges with these Duo-Challenges is shading. Graphite make such a mess in the sketchbook.  When I started this, I had an idea to use my Staedtler Triplus Fineliner and go back with a water brush and blend out some shading. I took a break from the drawing for a day and then when I went back I forgot my plan and started in with the Tombow grey markers. I used a water brush to blend out the markers and realized I'd used a couple of different pens that bled two different shades of grey. Oh well..


Zendala Monday
love me some black Pokeleaf

I used a black Prismacolor pencil to shade this. It's more evident in person.

August Challenge
 Mixed Media Sketchbook

I recently joined a new mixed media art journal group. Each month one of several artists will create a  prompt list to guide you though all of the steps to complete a journal page. I found this to be the answer to my ever growing pages of stalled starts. I'm great at starting and getting some cool backgrounds going and perhaps a layer or two of stamping and stenciling but then I hit a wall. I love the way this turned out...even though I missed a word:-P

Travelling Tangles:
My finish...
...to this ATC started by Joey van Oort

Another finish...

 ...to Joey's start

Eco-printed papers

I wanted to experiment with Eco-printing on a variety of different papers and envelopes for potential use in my junk journals. I'm also thinking about Inktober and the possibility of doing a month of botanical illustration on some of these papers. This was fun.
 
Flow-ish Journal for a swap

I gutted an old Yoga instruction book and covered it with my used paint clean up baby wipes. I stitched several together, then painted and stamped circles all over it using a set of curlers.
This was a "No Theme" swap.



I made a decorative paper clip using an image of a Victorian corset I'd cut out of a museum fashion book. Under the clip are several cheese stickers I painted and stenciled.

I included a lot of costume/fashion stuff and museum postcards.

Lastly, I wanted to share this super cool prize I won in last weeks "Freebie Friday Giveaway" at the Facebook Group "Anything Goes-Tangled Art For Everyone". This was so exciting because not only is it such a great gift but it's also the first time I've ever won a giveaway😁

13 Shades of Grey Tutorial by Sonya Yencer

Thanks so much for stopping by. Your  thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me.




3 comments:

  1. The mixed media art journal group seems to me a wonderful group to join. I'm so sorry that I'm not so familiar with this kind of art but I like everthing you show us, every week. My fave is the first one under the black/white tiles, which both are beautiful, even with different shading. It is nice to explore different ways to shade... And as already said: you are the queen of the T.T. always gorgeous results!!! I'm glad for you that you have won a giveaway. I have the 14 shades of grey also and I like that technique very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria! The whole mixed media thing is such a rabbit hole for me and I spend waaayyy too much time with it but it's a lot of fun. I enjoy finding new and creative ways to use all of the cards, papers, travel stuff and theatre research I've collected through the years.

      Delete
  2. My favorites this week are the duotangle and the wonderful zendala, Michele! And your TTs are very beautiful too. Congratulations to your prize! I never won anything yet. Your other mixed media work is inspiring and interesting.

    ReplyDelete