Thursday, November 3, 2016

Diva Challenge #291, Made by Joey Challenge#137 and a few Travelling Tangles





A set of Halloween inspired tiles colored with art tissue

When presented with this weeks challenges on Monday, I have to admit I was not all that enthused. The Diva's options were either to create a Halloween inspired tile or use a black tile. Joey presented us with a "Finish my Tile" challenge using a "Wud" filled pumpkin as a starter.

Halloween is just not my thing. I don't have kids and even during the 10 years I lived in New York City, studying and then working as a theatrical costume designer, I only ever dressed up once.

Anyhoo, I had to really work to wrap my pen around these challenges, besides Halloween was long over by the time I got around to these. I decided to create a set of tiles using the, as yet unused, black tissue from my art tissue packet. The first tile was really more of an experimental piece. I'm not crazy about it but I try to embrace my less-than-stellar attempts as "adventurous".

Catching up on some Travelling Tangles:

My finish...

...to this start by Dorte Seupel Kor, travelling all the way from Germany 

My finish...

...to another of Dorte's starts. This was an Autumn themed swap.

These were my starts to October's theme: Breast Cancer Awareness Pink. I  used Daniel Lamothe's pattern Dreamcatcher on tiles colored with art tissue.

This was beautifully finished by Anita Westin in Sweden

This was Anja Shaffeld's (Germany) fantastic finish.


Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me.

23 comments:

  1. I really like the tile that used your black tissue. It has a nice seasonal feel to it. It is always such fun to se the traveling tangles. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I was trying to fight and embrace the seasonality at the same time-hahaha;-)

      Delete
  2. Michele I Love those blacktissue-experiments ! Your work is so inspiring!😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! This was definitely one of those weeks where I had to dig much deeper for inspiration;-)

      Delete
  3. For Halloween i love these color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Diva Challenge tiles are beautiful, as well as the color using the black tissue! Perfect for this season. Your TT's are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Halloween thing gets bigger each year and starts to bore me too because it goes on for so long.

    But I love your take on it - and the use of the black tissue is inspired - I'll have to try mine. I like the fact it creates a muted black, which in theory should be a grey, but somehow isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem! Yes, the black tissue was the "aha! moment" of this week's challenges. I'm now itching to try it in other applications;-)

      Delete
  6. The challengetiles are again very special and beautiful, I'm fond of the Halloweencolors you have created,the one for the Diva is my favorite. I love your tissue art.
    All results of the swappingtiles are gorgeous, I am a big fan of your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria! The Diva tile is one of those pieces I had to put away for awhile in order to appreciate it. I'm very pleased that it stood out to you, and as always, I truly appreciate your kind words;-)

      Delete
  7. I love your tiles. Your coloring is always sooo brillant. I never worked with tissues, but now I have to! All tiles are beautiful, but the colored ones are may favorites, I just love colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone! Well, if you love colors you should definitely get your mitts on some art tissue. It produces colors so much more vibrant than watercolor and super easy to do. I'm hooked;-)

      Delete
  8. Wow, all your tiles are so beautiful, but I'm in love with the first one. It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilse! I truly appreciate your kind words. It was one of those tiles that was very hard to keep going on because I was so uncertain of what I was doing. I kept telling myself "this is just an exercise". I'm so happy it paid off.

      Delete
  9. Oh that Joey tile! the way you've got it shaded, plus the light in the photo, combine to make it look like it's coming out of darkness into a beaming bright light. Just lovely! of course your Pink October tiles are scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the tiles are marvelous!! i love these colored in pink for October's theme!
    good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariejo! I'm so glad you stopped by;-)

      Delete
  11. Amazing work, Michele! Love all your tiles! My favorite is your Diva tile. Love your tissue colored tiles. The colors are so beautiful! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing work, indeed! Like your tiles with the black tissue coloring. Great colour combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful tiles! Very nicely done...you've added sophistication to Halloween! I am not familiar with coloring with art tissue. Is there a place where I can read about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! SuzenArt on Facebook has a tutorial. I can't link from my cell phone, but when you get onto the page, search "tissue paper process". Super easy if you get your hands on the right kind of paper.

      Delete