Friday, November 13, 2015

Antonine's Throwback Thursday #6~Reflection

I just got back from a road trip to Oregon. I brought my tangling gear with me but there was just no time, so I'll probably be playing catch-up with this week's challenges into next week.
Antonine's TBT challenge struck a chord: Reflection and thinking about a piece that made you feel good and since this one was already in my toolbox, at least I could check one challenge off my list. 
I immediately remembered this Square One challenge. The pattern was Gneiss and it was one of the first pieces I ever posted. I was not all that crazy about the challenge as I started it.
I do not have a steady hand and really cannot draw a straight line to save my life. I remember being frustrated at not being able to achieve the precision and consistency of linework I was seeing in the work of others. I created and tossed several tiles before I got to this. I remember looking at the almost finished piece and being really unhappy with my rounding. After dealing with the fear of messing it up, I plunged in and started to scribble. It was then I explored and embraced my sketchy/squiggly internal aura technique. and I remember how pleased I was with the results and how it gave me confidence. 
From the road:
"Reflection"

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Your generous and thoughtful comments always make my day.

2 comments:

  1. Michele, thank you for this throwback post. Your story brought tears to my eyes, and I am not known to cry easily! I just spoke to a class today about how the imperfect and the free, open style can be so beautiful, and here you have just illustrated that notion in the very best way! I'm so happy this brought joy to you, as it certainly did to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be one of my favorites from your repertoire. Your sketchy/squiggly internal aura technique is so cool. It reminds me of wood cuts, or maybe lino prints. And then to add the thick black border in contrast was the cherry on top. So glad you brought this one out to share!

    ReplyDelete