Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Journals to the People: "Jane"

 


This series of journals are for the August Challenge at Nevermore Creations Marketplace. We're choosing three digitals from a selection of five from which I chose:
Script and Lace
Old Books
On My Desk
On My Desk Journaling Cards
I also used some images from Dear to my Heart in my cover plates.
I purchased lifetime access to all of her digital kits and I'm taking advantage of the 300 free prints offered with the HP instant ink program.

This months challenge also coincided with my acquisition of 10 Readers Digest books. These are my favorite books to repurpose into journals and use because the size just feels so right in my hands.

The downside though is having to cut down almost all of my papers because the books are smaller than would fit the average sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. One journal probably wouldn't be a chore but four?... Well... it's tedious.

Anyhoo, this is "Jane". I totally hijacked Jessica Rapp's journal naming idea...names from a specific era. I chose female authors or literary characters.
The blue button on the cover is antique. I bought  a card of them at the Marche aux Puces ( the big Paris flea market) 20+ years ago. 

Lots of machine stitched enhancement and collage.
As is with all of my journals, the style is Anything Goes. Roughly vintage, roughly Old Books themed but I throw in anything that I like if it looks good on the page.

Book page ruffles...






5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I particularly love the button, the stitching and all the references to France :) Question: Will stitching paper mess up my sewing machine? I always worry. Do you stick (no pun intended) to one needle for your paper stitching? Does it matter? Thanks. You are such a wealth of creativity and information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I haven't had a problem with my machine. It's a Singer Brilliance that I bought at Costco years ago and have been using regularly on paper for 2 years now. I change my needle if the bobbin thread starts getting knotty. It's also important to dust out the bobbin area frequently.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Michele! You are always so helpful!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Michele - I, too, love the stitching. When you talk about the Reader’s Digest books, are you talking about the hard bound copies? And do you then remove some signatures? I’m wondering where you get them...
    This is a beautiful journal - the little pockets you’ve included are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne. These are the hard cover Readers Digest books. I remove the entire text block and replace with my own signatures. I got the books at bookbundler.com in a lot of 10 random books most from the 70's and 80's.

      Delete