Saturday, September 28, 2019

Project Share: A Mega-zine

I watched a video from Mrs. Cogs last week where she flipped through a Mega-zine she made during an online class she'd published in her Etsy shop. She was trying to find a way to use large images that were too big for standard sized junk journals. Once again I was hooked because I too have a lot of magazine, art book, calendar images that I love but they really don't lend themselves to much cropping and I don't want to turn them sideways so I was inspired to create this journal which measures 8 1/2" x 11" with about a 1 inch spine.
I used a heavy duty, legal sized, medical file folder I'd picked up at SCRAP (creative re-use center) last week. I cut down the top where the prongs were embedded and used 2 pieces of the Frankenpaper I made a couple of weeks ago, then wrapped a strip of fabric all the way around the spine.

Mrs. Cogs calls this "the dashboard". I don't know why but anyhoo the pocket on the inner cover is a piece of embroidery I was sent in a swap. I dyed it with food coloring a long time ago for another project that I never ended up using it in. There's a piece of eco-printed watercolor paper on the right.
I just did some minimal decorating with some new stamps and washi tape.

I did an off-set fold on the double sided scrapbook paper signature covers and this is where I used partial calendar images glued down to an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of scrapbook paper to complete the width of the cover also creating a pocket.
I created paper hinges to attach two 8 1/2" x 11" pages together to make one large piece that I could sew into the spine
More eco-printed paper...
The polka dot scrapbook paper was trimmed down to 11" x 12" and folded at 8 1/2. The other piece of scrapbook paper measures 8 1/2" x 11" and is machine stitched to the larger piece to form the pocket on the backside.
Franken Paper cover detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment