Thursday, July 5, 2018

A New Journey


Duo-Challenge
Joey Throwback Challenge#1
and 
It's a String Thing Challenge #250

Greetings my tangling friends joining me here for what will be a new, and hopefully inspiring new road in my art journey.
I started Coffee & Creativity 3 1/2 years ago as a way to share my responses to the weekly Zentangle challenges and other artsy endeavors. The challenges seem to have run their course, but It's a String Thing still endures as does my Zentangle practice. 
So,  my idea for the next couple of weeks is to continue on with my Duo-Challenges partnering the IAST weekly challenge with a grab bag of throwback Diva and Joey Challenges and Square One: Purely Zentangle weekly patterns. I made a list of 5 challenges from each. I put them in a jar and will draw one every Monday. I will loosely interpret them, if necessary, to fit the purposes of my page which is to have a useful and interesting pattern reference.
This one was challenging to say the least. I had difficulty integrating the two sides and Adele's string went totally out the window.
I was watching a Southern Gal Designs video as I was trying to slog through and at one point she says "sometimes ya gotta just work through the ugly". That's my new favorite quote 😉

The Travelling Tangles Project:
My finishes...
...to this pile of fun
from Elaine Sampson
Travelling all the way from the UK

My finishes...

...to these gorgeous starters by Sue Olsen

My finishes...

...to these starters by Cathy Cusson

I posted a few pictures on the Travelling Tangles FB page of the new journal I started and got a lot of comments and questions about my process so I'm sharing a few process pics.
A little background...I've been involved with the TT Project for close to 2 years now and filled up two very lovely, traditional, and large scrapbooks with my results. They live in my hall closet and I rarely look at them;-( I needed a new format.
Recently, I discovered the whole mixed media rabbit hole (from my addiction to YouTube) as I pondered a way to use up years of collected papers, paints, cards, maps, brochures and postcards from my travels, not to mention all of the research and inspiration I had archived over my years as a student in pursuit of degrees in Theatrical Costume Design and as a working Costume Designer for over 20 years. My own rule is only to purchase mediums and tools I can re-use like stamps and stencils.
I've included links to some of my favorite YouTube channels at the end of this post.

Here's a look at a few TTMMJJ pages in progress:

not sure if this is a finished page or not...

The bare bones
starts with 8 1/2" x 11" papers
some are dyed with coffee and stained with coffee rings
some of the larger envelopes with the  flaps still in tact
 are glued to the edge of the cardstock pages
and made to flip out

maps and brochures cut down to 8 1/2" x 11"


miscellaneous bits of card stock, 
note cards and envelopes
are stenciled and/or stamped,
the envelopes are colored with art tissue
Once I get a good amount of  "Arting" done then
I'll go through and start deciding which tiles will go where


I created 4 signatures consisting 
of about 4-6 pages 
with a couple of happy mail note cards and smaller bits in between. 
Each signature is sewn using heavy duty carpet/buttonhole thread into 3 holes.



Re-using art tissue
This is still wet and will be lifted off

I love the muted colors I get from each use
Finally when I've coaxed out every last bit of color, I'll glue the pieces down to another piece of something or other to get some texture going



decorating the envelopes
stencils, stamps (a couple of handmades)
 and drawing on top of the colored envelopes


I hope this was helpful to those who had inquired and of interest to those who didn't. Please leave me any questions or comments. Here are the links to some of my favorite channels. Welcome to my addiction.



Junk Journals:

ArtyMaze: this is the start of her junk journal. She has 7 subsequent tutorials on how she's filling it.
LorrieMarie: she does some amazing journals and altered books. This video shows how she does the pamphet books which is sort of the technique I'm using. I don't do all of the machine stitching she does but I like how she assembles these.

Backgrounds:

MaremiSmallArt: this is where it all began for me. She's delightful!
SouthernGalsDesigns: she cracks me up!
MimiBondi: I love her abstracts and her colors are so much fun.

Bookbinding:

Nik the Booksmith: this video is the first in her series of making a junk journal
SeaLemon: This video is how I make all of my DIY journals and how I'll probably end up binding this one together. She has several videos on different ways to bind books.


I had a little visit with Aimee yesterday 🐾😻❤

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me.
















16 comments:

  1. Hi Michele. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I'm way behind you with the journalling and I'm not sure I want to actually build it from scratch. I'm sstill working on the layering techniques. However, I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms from the temporary absence of the Diva and your idea of creating a journal to keep swap tiles in just fits the bill. I shall watch with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Margaret! I'm glad you found this useful. I'm thoroughly enjoying the junk journal process and spending waaaay too much time on it...well, too much time watching other people make theirs;-)

      Delete
  2. So pleased you've found a way to keep your Duos alive and kicking and lovely to see my Tira tickling your page.

    Such fun peering at your journalling images - I love that it adds another layer of creativity to the keeping of TTP tiles. Love that spirograph style stamp you've got - that would make some great tile backgrounds! Hint, hint! ;)

    Lovely to see Aimee again - I miss her and I'm really not a cat person usually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jem! As frustrating as they can sometimes be, the Duo-Challenges have really helped me progress. I'm glad you're enjoying the journal too;-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you MIchele for so much interesting items. I looked to all the video's and it is nice to see how you can get such beautiful results.I also want to explore more but I only need more time, time time...
    Your TT and duo's are always beautiful.
    I'm fond of the Zentangledrawing abough the stampwork, that gives here a wonderful result.
    And I'm glad to see Aimée, she looks great with her beautiful eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ria! I'm glad you're enjoying the journal bits...and yes, those videos can be a complete time drain;-) I need to start setting a timer.

      Delete
  4. Your posts are always inspiring, Michele, but this one especially. Loved seeing the process of your MM. I’m on my way to check out the links......(saaaave meee!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne! I do appreciate your lovely feedback and I'm so glad you find it inspiring;-)

      Delete
  5. So grateful that you're still posting! I need my weekly fix of your coffeencreativity! Haven't had time to visit anyone much lately, but am starting my catchup rounds with you. Such an inspiration! I appreciate your instructions on your journal, but believe that there is a magical touch of unicorn in there somewhere that I don't have. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! I'm so happy to see you here and I'm glad you're enjoying my crazy tangents;-)

      Delete
  6. Your loose interpretation of Tic Tac Toe is indeed very liberal but wonderfully amazing! Sometimes ideas such as these grab me more than the actual drawing. Your many TTs leave me speechless (a rare phenomenon), I only see one beaut after another.
    I wished I was a paper hoarder and I would be right there in front with you making all those wonderful pages. Alas, such is not the case, but I made a mental note to be just that in my next life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Susie! I'm amazed at all the beauty going on over on your blog. Since your comments are closed I'm tellin' ya, you are my inspiration for thinking outside the box;-)

      Delete
  7. You have a very creative week behind you, Michele and one can only congratulate to the results!
    Your idea to continue your duotangle in a new way is very interesting. The first one is a little different from the old ones, but very successful, in no way ugly at all. I'm looking forward to the next.
    Wonderful are your traveling tangles, one more beautiful than the other! You can not find out a favorite at all. I am also fascinated of your experiments with reused old papers and plans. Maybe I will try one or the other once.
    And to see your guest cat Aimee again is a great pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle, I am always so happy to see your post with your amazing creative works. I feel inspired, but then inadequate at the same time - I want to be you when I grow up! The winds of change abound, do they not? I feel a bit untethered, and I see that same trend across the Zentangle community. But good will come from this, I know. I'm so glad you are choosing to continue your posts, albeit with a slightly different focus. I love your duotangles, and always wonder how you manage to bridge from one to the other. I always enjoy seeing your journal creations too. Your colors are so soft and sophisticated - you are the queen of the distressed look! Thank you for your tips, progress photos and insights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is wonderful. Your journaling is amazing. I had a notebook put together when I was doing traveling tangles - maybe I will start up again after my move. I love the zendala - it is my favorite type of art. You might consider doing assymetrical zendalas. Eni Oken has some blog posts about hers and there are quite a few other artists who create in an assymetrical manner. And they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete