Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Diva Challenge #337, IAST#215, Inktober...

 
"Artoo"


This week, The Diva's young son "Artoo" turned 7 so to celebrate we're to use the pattern Laura created in his honor shortly after he was born (introduced in weekly challenge #9).
This was an experiment and there were two points in this process I almost gave it the boot, but I'm glad I stuck to it. I used a tile colored with art tissue. I'll re-use the strips of tissue until I've bled out the last dregs of color that I can. At the final stage, I usually just wad up a bunch of damp strips and smoosh them down onto a tile, saturate some more and using a piece of acetate press the wad flat and let it sit for a bit. I end up with just hints of color, which I really love.
I just bought a light grey Staetdler Triplus Fineliner and had an idea to play around with some layers and a bit of a monochromatic color scheme. I started with the darker of the two purples, then the lighter purple and finally the light grey. I thought the line work looked a bit clumsy and thought about ditching it at that point, but I had to keep reminding myself that the purpose was practice and play, NOT about a finished Instagram-worthy piece. Then I spritzed it with water to get some diffusion going, noodled around with a grey Tombow brush pen and then, "what the heck" let's see what a final stem in black on top of everything will look like. Love it! if I do say so myself;-)

Rope String
featuring: "Clob" & "Delys"

I've had a lot lapses with It's a String Thing challenges. Many of them mental. I completed this challenge very early in the week because I gelled with it right from the get-go (usually my first lapse if I don't feel the challenge right away) Rope String? One of my absolute Faves! The creator of "Clob", none other than Jem Miller aka "The Ragged Ray", another Fave! She and I have had several Travelling Tangles collaborations and I'm a huge fan of her work. "Delys"? gorgeous and new to me. I was super inspired by this challenge and got right to it.  Then, I completely forgot (a frequent lapse) to email it to Adele;-(
<<<heavy sigh>>> Story of my life;-)

Moving on... I'm quite pleased with myself for sticking to my Inktober guns. Last year I bailed after the first week. Here's my concertina sketchbook. I'm one page away from finishing the first side:



Day 11
"Run"


Day 12:
"Shattered"


Day 13:
"Teeming"


Days 14, 15 & 16
"Fierce"
"Mysterious"
"Fat"



Aimee Baby!
guess who just celebrated her 6th birthday
Isn't she just adorbs?!?


Thanks so much for stopping by! Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me 😍🐾😼



22 comments:

  1. My heart has been STOLEN!!!.... by Baby Aimee!! But I do love your Artoo tile! Great exploration of tools! Love your other drawings as well!😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanne! My heart melted when I saw that pic of Aimee. My sister posted it on her Facebook page on Aimee's birthday. Aimee is her cat. I'm her entrusted caretaker for the time being;-)
      I sure had some ups and downs with the Artoo tile. I'm very happy with the happy ending;-)

      Delete
  2. She's six and so tiny!

    I love your Inktober sketchbook. Great job for sticking to it so far. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Diva tile - seed pods in the mist. It's come out really well. I can see this working with other organic tangles.

    And I'm so pleased I got to see your IAST tile! Your Clob are super shiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem! It's always a satisfying feeling when forward progress is made in the end;-)
      I really enjoyed the IAST piece. I'm just disappointed that I didn't get my act together to get it into the gallery show this week.

      Delete
  4. I just love animals and this picture of Aimee is so cute...
    Your Inktober sketchbook looks great, thank you for giving us a look into. The I.A.S.T. tile is gorgeous but absolutely fabulous is your Diva tile,I'm fond of that misty look!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria! Yes, who can resist kitten cuteness. I'm really pleased with the results of the Diva challenge and though sometimes it might feel like a chore, the sketchbook project had opened up some new possibilities to explore.

      Delete
  5. Such lovely lovely ink work! I'm so envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is definitely not my forte, but after spending hours upon hours watching YouTube videos, I was inspired and a little scared. I realized it's not that hard, but I have to really take a lot of time with it. Like anything, it just takes practice.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the process of this gorgeous Artoo tile!!! I love it and keep looking at it. After my cat Tedah died this spring, we decided that we don't take another one. But oh, that's hard and especially when you see a kitten like this (or a photo of an older one waiting for a home in a shelter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annemarie! The Artoo tile really did surprise me in the end. I love when that happens.
      I've come to realize, with cats, it's not really your decision. They just make you think it is;-) Aimee isn't even my cat. She belongs to my sister. I'm just taking care of her for a bit. It's been a long bit;-)

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous post! I love the transparency of the layers in your first tile. Your color work has your own signature style and just lovely....and those sketches are great! (Love your cat pages too ;-) and as a kitten, adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Betsy! It's been a good week and it's always a pleasure when experiments go well😍🐾😼

      Delete
  8. Ohh, Michele ~ I love your Artoo tile and I have to agree with Betsy. You have your own signature style and it's so soft and lovely. Once again this post makes me wish we lived next door to one another.....sigh... It'd be so inspiring. I think I have to look into making a concertina sketchbook.
    And Fat Aimee! Her T0-Do list is very similar to the one belonging to my Fat Boy Oliver. With his, though, we'd need to include "eats voraciously when fed!" We do love our felines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roseanne 😄 I truly appreciate your kind words. Yes, it would indeed be nice to have you for a neighbor 😉

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful and very inspiring post! Your Artoo-tile is fabulous ... I like the misty look. I have to try your technique ... I hope soon! Your sketches for Inktober are fantastic and Aimee is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annette! I truly appreciate your kind words 😄😼🐾

      Delete
  10. Michele, Your Artoo tile is wonderful, so good that you kept at it! The inktober endeavor is fabulous! It is so fun to see what you are doing with this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is always inspiring! Love your Artoo / Diva Challenge. So many good ideas and the reminder that persevering is worth it. Love the Inktober pages. So beautiful and on November 1st (or so) you will have an amazing piece of artwork completed. By the way, did you make or buy the concertina sketchbook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! I made the concertina sketchbook. I saw a you tube video awhile back.

      Delete