Laura's challenge was to get to know "Striping". Whenever I have used Striping, it's usually been as small filler or in some cases as a framing device. I've never had any inclination to put it front and center. I found a tile left over from my guest blogger appearance on Joey's challenge earlier this Summer where I used Margaret Bremner's "Rope String".
I can't say I'm all too happy with this. Those skinny stripes on the top are a little weird, but they can't all be winners. I did enjoy drawing this though.
If you don't already know, The Diva has a YouTube channel now where she's been posting her daily Inktober challenges as well this weeks "Striping" challenge. Very inspiring.
I had originally decided to take a pass on the Zentangle Inktober challenges because I wanted to focus on the official prompts, but after watching Laura's videos I chose to follow her lead using Bijou tiles and dip pen & ink. I have a box full of "Twinchies" I made from tile trimmings and watercolor sheets made to test out watercolor sets. I'm also adding color by layering and blending out colored pencils.
following Stephanie Jennifer's prompt list
9 piece ensemble series
additionally: Striping, Caviar and a spiral thingy
This ATC brings me to the end of my ensemble. The spiral was originally going to be Marasu but for some reason I started drawing scallops instead of stripes. Gotta follow my muse:-)
This series has been my most favorite challenge to date!
It's been a bit problematic getting decent photographs today. The atmosphere here in San Francisco is quite murky from all of the smoke from the Napa/Sonoma fires.
I began with two different (but similar) sets of ATC's using the art tissue paper coloring technique. The darker set was the first pass with the tissue and the lighter set was the second pass. At the time I made the sheets, it was a test to see what happened with each re-use of the tissue. I was going to use them for Travelling Tangles but I felt the colors were way too saturated and might be problematic for others to attempt to complete, so I stashed them away. Then this series began and I figured this would be a good challenge for me to see what I could do on a background this dark.
I've been really pleased with how this project progressed. I purposely chose not to carry patterns from one tile to the next so that each piece was its own composition. I just made sure the string was continuing to line up and that patterns were similar but different moving onto the adjoining piece.
The best part was that I taught myself more about highlight and shadow and overcoming the darkness of the colorful base. The white gel pen was the star of this show;-)
I've also challenged myself with participating in the official Inktober prompts and attempting illustration of actual stuff using only black ink (for now). I'll probably go back and add a bit of color at some point. I made a concertina sketchbook (accordian) to create a journal of my days.
Day 5: "Long"
Day 6: "Sword"
Day 7: "Shy"
Day 8: "Crooked"
Day 9: "Screech"
Day 10: "Gigantic"
Thanks so much for stopping by! Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me;-)