Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Diva Challenge #321, Made by Joey Challenge #170 and other artsy stuff..

Non-dominant hand & Auras

My initial reaction to these left hand challenges is always "oh crap!", but usually, fairly quickly, followed by a sigh of relief. Letting go of perceived perfection with slow, steady focus on each stroke is extremely calming. The additional emphasis on aura'd patterns was actually a natural progression from previous challenges. During the last couple of Sunday streams, Laura was drawing Opus in one and Dansk in another, mentioning the keys to successful aura-ing. Even spacing, focus and my Aha! moment: Go Slow! So, of course, I started those subsequent challenges in that vein and then veered off course from time to time.
This challenge was just the thing to rein me back into the zen. For me, this was merely an exercise. I decided to go to my pattern collection and pulled out several of my favorite aura patterns and a couple of less familiar ones. I used Margaret Bremner's "Flying Birds" string and mapped out what I'd put where. I started with my mac 'n cheese "Crescent Moon". The last thing I did was "Verve". Those longer lines were the most difficult part and wonkiest...and...I love this tile! It looked a bit like a tree so I decided to stop and leave those wedges empty. The shading helped a lot.  Great challenge!


Tile Mapping (I just made this up-I think)
trying something new

Finish my Tile Alphabet Series: "Y"
featuring: Yuma
additionally: Yah

The next to last Alphabet challenge by Joey. I have to say my set is quite spectacular. I'll post the whole she-bang next week. These were supposed to be headers for my pattern collection pages, but a few weeks ago I decided to re-organize it by pattern type:

Re-organization...for now

Travelling Tangles I finished last week:

My finish...

...to this sweet start by June Dal
travelling from Hawaii

My finish...

...to another of June's beginnings

My "92 Days" Project-daily drawing prompts from the Facebook group Tangled and Journaled, too!
Week 3:





Thanks so much for stopping by! Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me.


Kitty-pic of the week





21 comments:

  1. I love your Diva tile Michele! It's amazing! Yes... it does look like a tree. The "non dominant" lines give it texture. I loves seeing all your other tiles..... they would be fantastic to see in person! Aimee is the cutest!!!! ....and I think she knows it! I may have to start a blog just to share photos of my cat! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanne! I love looking at all the results of this challenge. The squigglies bring so much energy to the tiles. You should start a blog! Art and your cat;-)

      Delete
  2. Your challenge piece has so much depth to it. I just snapped a lot of photos of my cat last night who was in a similar pose. Beautiful creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! Cats are pretty amazing. I take pictures of her everyday. Obviously;-)

      Delete
  3. Awesome Diva tile!!! Wow. It's strong despit the wobbles. No wonder you love it. Congrats on getting so far on the Alphabet challenge. What an accomplishment. Your traveling tangles are always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is she really propping up her chin with her paw???!!! If we knew what pets are thinking....
    That lefty of yours is as good as your righty. Had I not known what the challenge is all about, I would have never guessed, but simply accepted the fact that it was 'just' another of your collection of beautiful tiles. Absolutely fantastic!!! I also love the way you finish TTs. I would instantly suffered brain deadness if I got something like those in the mail. I am looking forward to next week to see your complete she-bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was washing her face. I snapped about 10 pics to get this one;-) Thank you Susie! Your comments and observations are always so inspiring. I think the Travelling Tangles have really helped me to stretch my creativity. Each one is a new adventure.

      Delete
  5. I love the shading and your very restrained use of black on your diva tile, and everything else here is also beautiful (including the cat!), as always. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I actually pondered filling in some lines with more black when I was done but yes, I did exercise restraint mostly because filling in black with my left hand is reallllly hard;-)

      Delete
  6. Yeah, had you not told us it was the diva non-dominant Challenge I would never had guessed it! Darn good work. I liked your"map" too, good idea.

    Can't believe we are almost done the alphabet Challenge with Joey. Mine are in a book which I show to my 2 year old granddaughter on viral chats and she loves guessing the letters.

    Love the cat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trudi! It's always a good reminder to slow down and focus. I tend to lose sight of that. I'm looking forward to seeing the Alphabet gallery when this is done. I think Joey's going to do a special posting so we can admire each others collection. I'll be doing a guest post there on July 10th-stay tuned!

      Delete
  7. Your journal is stunning, Michele. You're inspiring me to get going on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a lineup! I'm exhausted just looking at all this wonderfulness���� I love them all, but particularly your traveling tangle finishes. You find just the right way to incorporate the style of the start while adding your own artistry. What a talent that is! I haven't done any non dominant tiles in a while, and looking at yours, I know why I don't bother! Your journal is amazing and your organization system is what I aspire to someday have. Someday... LOVE IT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antonine! It's so nice to see you here. The travelling tangles are always an adventure. It's hard to believe I've been doing them for a year now. They are what motivated my reorganization project. Now...to see if it actually works 😉

      Delete
  9. Lots of great work. Like the shading and perspective in your challenge tile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your kitty pic of the week! (Sorry this suppose to be about tangling). I love your Diva tile - it does not look like a dominant hand tile. Your other tiles are also lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many beautiful tiles! Your entry for I´m the Divas challenge is great!

    ReplyDelete