Monday, May 20, 2019

The Cheese Stands Alone...

At my day job, what keeps me in art supplies and a roof under which to craft and create, I'm a Cheesemonger. I work behind the cheese counter of a small, family owned specialty food market.
Back in January, I competed in The Cheesemonger Invitational. The video below  is from a CBS Sunday Morning feature of last years competition. It's pretty fierce and when all was said and done, I placed 11th out of 37 cheesemongers. I won a trip to visit Wisconsin dairies in October so I'm really jazzed about that.


My signs describing the 3 cheese presentations/pairings I had to create

I did NOT create these cheese boards. They were at our meet and greet party to kick off the 3 day event. They were prepared by the guy who won last years competition and is going on to compete later this year in France.






This is a CBS Sunday Morning feature from last years competition:


Yes, I'm a curd nerd.


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your very impressive placement!
    If you were judged on your signs alone, you would win. They are beautifully lettered and illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adele. Yes the signs were well received in my critiques from the judges and I do believe gave me the edge into the prize winning category 😉

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is gorgeous! I want to dive right in and sample the goodies, as I could spend hours perusing the cheese counter. Congratulations on your accomplishments, and I'm sure you will enjoy that trip to Wisconsin. It should be beautiful in October with the fall colors. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Antonine! I'm so fortunate to have a job that I truly love. Cheese has been my favorite food for as long as I can remember. The opportunities to further educate myself are a gift😉

      Delete
  3. I am sorry you didn't make first price, Michele, but had you brought your scissors... Who knows. Joke aside, I think you made a wonderful display with your cheeses and the intro art signs. I have no clue what's on in Wisconsin in October, but if there is anything similar the Oktoberfest in Munich you will have a blast of a good time. Hi5 to you and good luck for next year (don't forget the scissors).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie! Wisconsin is the cheese capital of the US. So I'll have the opportunity to to visit farms, dairies and creameries as well as experience a place I've never been to before😁

      Delete