Friday, August 10, 2018

My Weekly Duo-Challenge and Other Artsy Meanderings


Duo-Challenge:
Square One: "My Swing"
It's a String Thing #255: "Konk" and "Flog"

This week I randomly chose a Square One Purely Zentangle challenge featuring the pattern "My Swing" by Simone Menzel. I was also quite intrigued by this weeks Square One pattern "Icantoo", which seemed like a fitting accompaniment to My Swing. I drew in both of those patterns then waited for IAST. Adele's string was 3 spiraling vines and two new-to-me patterns, both of which I quite like except for the fact that I pretty much stink at highly graphic grid patterns. I went back and inked in the auras around the other side and I'm pleased with the results.

Zendala Monday:


This was just a fun botanical. Week to week I'm alternating between the pre-strung and the plain zendalas. I was determined to resist the urge to attempt something mandala-ish or symmetrical, so I immediately committed to 3 random circles and then went all free-form on it. I also decided against shading though I may go back and color it at some point.

My week in Travelling Tangles:

My finish...
...to this start from Karen Karstadt

 My finish...
 
...to another of Karen's starters

My finish...
...to this start by Kim Yodisborg


The Travelling Tangles Mixed Media Junk Journal in progress:




This is a super fun project. I came across a box of old swap ATC's from a few groups I used to regularly participate in and started including these as well. I had saved a bunch of envelopes from them and I've arted them too, using them as little pattern reference bits. Honestly, I can't stop looking at these;-)

Flow-ish Junk Journal Swap:

I sent my flow-ish journal off to my swap partner and she posted these pretty photos of it to the Facebook group.
The card is a color copy of my original artwork. I wrapped it in paper and twine I took off of a wheel of Piave that came into the cheese department the day before I mailed it. I knew when I saw that paper that it was a sign to wrap up the project literally and figuratively. I could have tweaked this book forever!

I included a bunch of cheese and spirit pins I've collected over the years from various vendors.

I included one of my handmade stamps in this little soap bag.

A paint blotting napkin.


I just signed up for the next swap. There's no theme. Yaay! I just need to make sure I'm diligent about using only what's already in my stash.


Thanks so much for stopping by! Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me;-)





12 comments:

  1. Oh where to start - What you did with Icantoo and My Swing is so dimensional. I love your Monday mandala - Your traveling tangle finishes are amazing - that flowish junk journal is fantastic! I can go on and on - you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bountiful post as ever! My favourite part of your Duo (and there's much to admire) is the little cut out in Flog where the other side peeks through - inspired!

    How did you find working on the plain zendala? I like the freedom of extra space but no straight edges!

    You've encouraged me to get back to decorating my swap envelopes again. I'd been sending them out minimal for a while when I was sending loads, but now I've pulled back I can take time to add a bit of something to each. You reminded me that a pleasing package can offer another whole layer of delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem! The Zendala is a challenge. I want to do something organic and fluid but I feel like the tile wants symmetry. I will not give in.
      I think I spend more time on the presentation of the TT's than I do on the actual tiles😉

      Delete
  3. What a post full of beautiful Michele- Art!I love every single tile, but, of course, I am thrilled about your very first tile with the duo of MySwing and Ichantoo. You are right- they fit very well together. And I love how your two challenge tiles merge one into the other. Thank you for your stunning works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again a blog I look at with eyes wide open and the brain scanning every line drawn. Your husband and wife tiles so different this week, but still so very much you, and they are complimenting each other as if they had been married for a long time (hmm...you know, starting to look and sound like the other!). Love it. The TTs...well read all my previous comments....I am running out of superlatives. Well done, M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Susie😄 Your kind and humourous comments always bring me joy😍

      Delete
  5. Every week, I am surprised by the beauty, showed on your blogpost but you keep on showing us fabulous tiles and give us wonderful tips. Thank you so much Michele. You know I love colours and the TT and the journals are my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria😍 Your words are truly appreciated.

      Delete
  6. This week my favorites are the traveling tangles, especially the green one, the TT journal and again your duotanngle. Your flowish journal is very funny. I think your swap partner will be excited. Wonderful work this week again, Michele!

    ReplyDelete