Thursday, July 19, 2018

My Weekly Duo-Challenge and Another Artsy Rabbit Hole


Duo-Challenge


My random pick for this week's IAST companion was the Diva's prompt of "Orbs". This was not meant to be an orb overload, but it took on a life of its own because I love drawing orbs.

My start

It's so funny that I still wait until Monday to pick my companion.
Adele's challenge was to use the pattern Deeday as a string within  4 box string. This one got a little tedious I have to say and it wasn't until I posted the photo that I noticed how off balance the whole thing looks, but that's ok because I really love the orb side and the negative space😉
I managed to score this nifty mini-haul today from my neighborhood Aaron Brothers going out of business sale for all of $8.66. There we're about 30 of these Zentangle kits going for $6.57. I had to laugh because it sort of proves my suspicion that San Francisco is not a hotbed of Zentangle enthusiasts.

These are the Travelling Tangles I completed this week:
My finish...
...to Heidi Whitney's start

 A few days ago I had a very delightful read over at Margaret Blank's blog. She and I have exchanged many swaps over the years as we belong to some of the same groups. In this particular post she was lamenting, with her hilarious wit and cynicism, the angst she experiences when she attempts to start her incoming Travelling Tangles. She was currently lamenting over one of mine;-) I had to laugh because she brilliantly expresses the fears and uncertainties that all of us TT swappers feel at one time or another.
I had one of those experiences with Heidi's tile. I made such a mess of it at first. I picked up the wrong pen when I started with the Inapod. Not only was it black ink (Heidi used Sepia), it was also a large nib Uniball, quite bold and juicy. I spent the entire drawing in problem solving mode, a roller coaster of frustration and triumph.
My line work is never steady on a good day
In the end, it was a triumph. High contrast is always good, but I prefer to ease into it😉


 Another finish...

...to this Bijou from Heidi

My finish...
with a Lily Moon floral sun

...to this delightful start from Spring Taylor

My finish...
...to Jules Mack's delightful note card
It free- styled into a leaf sampler 😉

Yet, another new rabbit hole:
As I was YouTube surfing journal inspiration for my TTMMJJ, I discovered the Facebook group Trashy Junk Journals and its sub-set, Flow-ish Journals.
This is a Flow-ish Journal I'm making to send off to a swap partner.
I dove head first into this one. Within a day of my discovery and acceptance into the group, they posted the monthly swap. The theme was Grocery. You may or may not know that I'm a Cheesemonger in a small specialty market in San Francisco...so how could I not, right? 70% of what ended up in this book, I already had at home and the rest came from the recycling bins at work and my own grocery packaging from my kitchen. I had so much fun making this.
A Flow-ish Journal is a paper collection of inspiring recycling and assorted arted bits that are then meant to be removed and used in the creation of your own or your swap partners junk journal. It's a way to contain all of your junk so it's easier to use.
I'm just sharing a few bits as this pretty much took up my week in art but I don't want to give too much away in case my swap partner comes by. I already alerted her that I'd be sharing this here.
The cover is made from a shopping bag from the market where I work. I stitched one of my paint blotting napkins  (from the long defunct Trader Vic's restaurant), to the bag to complete the cover. I hoard these super thick napkins from a Holiday Inn sports bar near Blicks Art Supply.
The signatures are not bound but just tied around the spine with a ribbon so the pages can easily slip out. I attached several of my cheese pins to the ends of the ties. Many of the pages came out of some beautiful specialty food catalogs I got from the Fancy Food Show and my local Edible magazine.
Envelopes and pockets made from mailer postcards and weekly mailer flyers hold loose, arted tags and stickers that get scattered throughout. The butterflies are color copies of my original art. I also used painted junk mail windowed envelopes and deli bags with strips of assorted washi tape that can be removed and re-used. I have tons of really cool cheese stickers. Some I painted (there are two on the front cover, but most I left alone.
 I love the little food illustrations on this page from Edible. I decorated large paper clips with bits cut off a Racer 5 beer carrier. There are bits of my original art scattered throughout. The black and white sharpie doodles are done on scraps of card stock from the recycling bin at work.
This is quite a little beast, but it fits in a Flat Rate USPS envelope;-)


Thanks so much for stopping by. Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me😍


15 comments:

  1. I think your Duo is great - the lightness of the Orbs side contrasts well with the IAST side. They don't necessarily harmonise but contrast is good too sometimes.

    Well done on your haul of bargains. I'm really into working on Zendala tiles at the moment, something about the circle brings up new shapes and styles.

    The recipient of your Grocery journal is bound to be thrilled - that's a bumper heap of papery wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem! I find I have to cut myself some slack on the Duo-Tangles-it's always a journey;-) That kit was worth it for the pens alone, the Zendalas scare me a little;-)

      Delete
    2. If I'm right I think your kit has a mix of prestrung and blank tiles. I like the prestrung in one way, because they're very repetitive and meditative, but not that creative. Unless you get really wild with them which I can imagine you could!

      But the blank circles really appeal to me. It's something about having a circle canvas. It makes me lay things out differently in a way I really enjoy.

      Delete
    3. Oh my, I'm repeating a point I already made the other day at the end there. Please just ignore me, it's too hot!

      Delete
    4. Yes, there are some pre- strung zendalas as well as blanks. I went back and bought two more sets, worth it for the pens alone😉 It's so funny how paralyzed I feel when pondering how to start this strange new thing.

      Delete
    5. If all else fails when I feel that sense of paralysis I start to 'copy' someone else and the throw in little deviations and suddenly I'm doing my own thing.

      I've been inspired by your zendala block to try something new with a prestrung - try to shake it up a little. I'll let you know how I get on!

      Delete
  2. Oh Michelle - you have endless energy in your art! I love the way you finish off Traveling Tangles. Maybe I will start that up again after my upcoming move. The journaling is amazing. I always enjoy visiting the new sites you find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pat! It's been a fun week. Let me know if you're ever up for a TT swap;-)

      Delete
  3. Every post shows a great enthusiasm, always pleasant to see and to read. I like your grocery journal and your beautiful finished T.T.(I love that way of drawing Squill!) but also every time again, you find a wonderful way to combine different challenges, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ria! I get a bit obsessive when I'm exploring and enjoying something new. Even though that journal is finished I keep collecting stuff around the store to bring home;-)

      Delete
  4. Now I know. You possess a "roller coaster of frustration and triumph". If the result looks as it looks, I want one, too. Extremely beautiful tile (roller coaster tile) and tiles (each of the other ones), I have to admit.
    At least you have 'something' Zentangle in your area. Here in Thailand I am worse off than Robinson Crusoe on his island. He, at least, had his ol' buddy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie! The duo-challenges are always vexing for me and you'd think I wouldn't be surprised anymore by how shading transforms a piece. That Zentangle kit is a first for me. Zendala's aren't really my thing but I went back and bought two more the next day, just for the pens really, but I've been on a bit of a floral/botanical kick lately so I'll probably have some fun with the Zendalas in a more organic way. I don't have the patience for the precision of mandalas. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. My computer isn't behaving as of late. This is my third try, must be a charm, right? Your blog is always full of creativity, energy, passion, enthusiasm and beauty! I don't know where the latest rabbit hole will lead, but I imagine that Mother Earth finds it delightful! Really love that first TTP, and the gorgeous color combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennifer! I'm having computer issues as well, so I truly appreciate your efforts and encouragement😍

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work this week, Michele! My favorite is your finished TT of Heidi. I like your typical style of drawing and coloring of this wonderful tile. I think everybody would imediately recognise this tile as yours. Equally unmistakable is your duotangle, a wonderful composition of the two themes. Very extraordinary is your Flow-ish journal. One can see the fun you had by creating the envelope and playing with the things you put into it.

    ReplyDelete