Thursday, July 26, 2018

Another Duo-Challenge and other artsy stuff

Duo-Challenge
Throwback Joey #5: "Mountains"
It's a String Thing #253

My start on Monday morning

Joey's prompt was "Mountains". I guess my interpretation is more like "Hills" ;-) I created a string that was reminiscent of a Facebook group I used to belong to called something like "Stacked and Tangled" where strings were laid out so the patterns stacked on top or side by side each other. I used to use this  horizontal wavy line string all the time.
Shortly after I drew the string, a "Zentwining" (conceived by Lynn Mead) tile by Eni Oken appeared on my Pinterest feed. I was fascinated by it.
I was able to adapt Adele's M string into this quite nicely. It was really tricky trying to meld the two sides stylistically though. All in all I enjoyed this one.

If you stopped by last week you may have noticed my purchase of a ridiculously discounted official "Zendala" kit from my neighborhood art store's going out of business sale. Here's my first official Zendala:

Zendala #1

I'm not quite sure what to make of these yet as it's completely out of my comfort zone. I don't do symmetry. Really. I did have fun with it, but it took forever. I'm going to try share one each week as the kit included some pre-strungs in addition to the blanks. I went back and bought 2 more sets so I've got 17 more of these babies to noodle around with;-)

On the Travelling Tangles front: 

my finish...

...to this gorgeous start by Spring Taylor

This was one of those I had to have a serious stare-down with before I could lay pen to paper. I loved how delicate and precise Springs line-work was (the anti-thesis of mine). It reminded me a bit of Lily Moon's work, so I went onto Pinterest looking for piece of  Lily's with patterns I wanted to try to replicate. My agenda with my Travelling Tangles finishes is to move my skills forward and advance my pattern repertoire, so I can use these pieces as references and studies for future work. 


Here's a page from my TTMMJJ

The bookmark on the left was sent to me finished as a bonus ages ago. I don't even remember who sent it. The bookmark on the right was from a recent swap with Heidi Whitney. She'd started it with the little cluster of flowers on the bottom. I'm really into floral motifs these days.


I am the worst at remembering the names of patterns and I don't worry about it. Margaret Blank sent me several colored tiles, ATC's and twinchies with various painted backgrounds. As with all of the others who sent such bonus's, I'm trying to use them to add additional pattern references to my journal rather than aim for more complex tiles. I really liked this pattern and I have no idea what it's called.

Jules Mack sent me this rainbow scratcher a while back

Jules started with a small cluster of 4 "Flux" in the bottom left corner. It took me a long time to put toothpick to paper on this one. I've never done one of these before and let me tell ya, it was so much fun!
Here's a work in progress of one of my TTMMJJ spreads:




The envelopes, notecards and tiles are all mixed up, so tiles sit on cards or envelopes not from the sender.



Thanks so much for stopping by. Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me!





6 comments:

  1. Zentwining picture is looking fantastic! Love it! Thanks for the shout-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations with your first zendala, a beautiful one and I am sure you will like drawing in the round,it is so relaxing and the results are beautiful.
    I agree with Eni, zentwining is wonderful, I have to try that also, just finding time....
    A glimp in your TTMMJJ looks always magical!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanks Ria! The Zendala is definitely a whole new experience and Zentwining?!? I love it😉 It was a productive week of firsts.

      Delete
  3. Your first zendala is very beautiful, Michele. I usually don't like zendalas so much. But when I see your wonderful result, I want to try it myself. And again, my favorite this week is your duotangle. But I also like your other work, especially the journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Margarete! It was such a crazy thing finding those Zendala kits on sale like that or I never would have bothered😉

      Delete