Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Diva Challenge #301, Made by Joey #150, IAST #181...

Duotangle: Paradox and Diva Dance

Zentangle HQ just released a video demonstrating a super cool mash-up of Paradox and Diva Dance, or a duotangle, if you will. I started this last night and just finished the shading now. I had so much fun with this and now I'm inspired to explore this more in my journal. The beauty of the tile though is the ease and flow of turning the tile is far less cumbersome than my landscape format sketchbook.

Finish My Tile Alphabet Series: E
featuring El Prado
additionally: Emingle and Echo

Once again tweaked to Bijou size. I'm enjoying this series a lot an using it as a prompt to explore new patterns. El Prado is new and though I've seen Echo before, I don't think I've ever used it. It's so simple and I love the textile effect. It reminds me of something I've seen in tribal art.


a Zenbud string
Poser, Puf and Flukes

This one took a long time to take off. I seem to resist challenges where I'm to use grid patterns in small curvy spaces, but that's why they call them challenges.
I've been working a lot in my new sketchbook, prompted by a Facebook group challenge following along the lessons in HQ's Zentangle Primer. My self challenge is to keep it simple at first (if that's my inclination) and then get out of my comfort zone. I could have gone farther with this.

Travelling Tangles Project
tissue paper transfer background

I created this set of starter ATC's to accompany the set of tiles I created for a new swap. I spent a lovely morning last week making several new watercolor/tissue paper pages to cut down into tiles and ATC's. 
Check out my last post for my new watercolor tutorial,  I would love to hear feedback from you if anyone tries this or if there's any confusion or missing information when reading through it. 
I also did some art tissue paper backgrounds too. Here's the link to Sue Olsen's tutorial on this super fun technique (here's a link to the Amazon page if you are able to purchase this tissue online).  Inspired by a comment by Pat Mathes at Gramtangles, I'm going to try out a mash-up of the two techniques. Stay tuned;-)

This one's begging for an organic series


This was the first page using the art tissue
these colors were inspired by the same rooster I used in my tutorial

This was my next attempt, re-using the same strips of tissue.
I love this muted effect!

Finally, exploring some new patterns


Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me!






39 comments:

  1. Wow, your Diva mash-up looks so great! I really love the composition/ position of Paradox vs Diva Dance. It's my favorite tile of this post of yours, which doesn't mean I don't like the rest ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilse! It may be my favorite as well. It seemed to take no time at all;-)

      Delete
  2. Such a treat to come here and see everything that you have been working on!
    xo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you've worked the Rock n' Roll version of Diva Dance into your tile. I will have to give that a try. As Joey said.... it's always a treat to visit! To see what you've been creating! Thank you for sharing! I also love seeing the work you're doing in your sketch journal! I'm going to have to try that tissue technique as soon as I can find the right paper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! I added a link above to the Amazon page if you are able to order online in the US.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post Michele, thank you so much for sharing. I'm also gonna try that tissue paper technique. I hope to find such paper in our neighbourhood. The colors you created on your tiles are always wonderful and those ATC cards looks great but now I'm totally in love with your magic Diva tile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria! If you have access to something like Amazon there look for Spectra Art tissue.

      Delete
  5. I can't help wondering how much time you spend on tangling, you rpoduce so much lovely work. That journal page takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I draw every day. On the average an hour in the morning and an hour before I go to bed. On my days off sometimes I can sit at the cafe for hours;-) Some weeks I may go back into my cell phone pics and post things I drew a while ago. The journal pages take about a week to complete. As I come across a new pattern I'll start it somewhere on the page and come back and finish it later.

      Delete
  6. Whaou, love the first one and the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beautiful tiles and the ideas with color give me new impulses :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always such a treat to come and read your posts. They are so rich with inspiration. I always come away with renewed desire to try something. And it's wonderful to read about how you make your delicious coloured tiles - I'll appreciate it all the more when I tangle on it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jem! Let me know when you're ready to do another swap and I'll send you some;-)

      Delete
  9. All of your work is lovely, I feel inspired to do more artwork each day when I see what you accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I truly appreciate your comments;-)

      Delete
  10. Your challenge tile is truly amazing. Love the colors I'm seeing in those ATC's too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I was so inspired by that video, I couldn't wait to try it;-)

      Delete
  11. Love all 3 of your tiles for the challenges this week! Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All so beautiful and the Diva tile awesome! I color paper that way too sometimes, but my colors are always much lighter. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! If you're referring to the tissue coloring, I suspect it's to do with the brand of paper. The Spectra tissue is an art paper and it's made to bleed. I tried using gift wrapping tissue. Some bled lightly and some none at all.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing your work. Lovey Diva tile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW Michele, your Rock`n Roll is AMAZING! I love it so much!
    All the other tiles as well, the E for Joey and all the warercolor backgrounds... so much artistic- I am looking forward to seeing them tangeled!
    Your sketch book is beautiful, as well! Hugs, Simone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone! That was such a fun tile to create because the video was so inspiring. Let me know if ever you're up for another swap and I'll send you some of those colored tiles;-)

      Delete
  15. oh, I love your mash up. I should have tried that....awesome work on the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work Michelle! I love the movement that you got in your diva challenge tile and thanks for sharing the starts to the traveling tiles. Your sketchbook is gorgeous! I looked through your watercolor tutorial and it seems like a great set of directions to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! I really appreciate the lovely comments and tutorial feedback 😀

      Delete
  17. Oh gosh, these are just terrific! Love that second application of tissue...and I am SO EXCITED to give it a try myself! Cool duo tangle, and I love your Joey E challenge! nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! The first time I tried the tissue I loved how beautiful the used pieces looked. I almost like it better 😀

      Delete
  18. Where do I begin? They are all fabulous! Your Diva challenge mashup is amazing and I always see your posts on Joey's challenges too. Love them all. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your many tutorials and tips you share as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like your Challenge tile and the shading really makes things pop out. Like the color. Curious if the art tissue is similar to what Alice Dean Hendon did recently on her blog. She used wet tissue paper to add color to her paper. Her blog is The Creator's Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Michele... All your pieces are absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful sketchbook drawings, great tissue paper and watercolor background pieces, lovely challenge tiles... all fantastic! I really like how you used a couple versions of diva dance and the layered effect you achieved with paradox. As always, lovely line work and shading!

    ReplyDelete