Thursday, August 4, 2016

It's a String Thing #156 and a Travelling Tangle

It's a String Thing Challenge #156~Happy 3rd Birthday!
patterns: "O", "Orbs-la-Dee", "Onamato" and "Opus"

It's a celebration of Adele Bruno's 3rd year hosting the weekly "It's a String Thing" Challenge. IAST, as it's known amongst the familiar, is unique to other weekly challenges in that Adele prompts with both the string and patterns (usually 3-4) so, given the exact same parameters, the diversity of results is truly amazing. It's unlike other challenges in that submissions are emailed to Adele and she posts the highly anticipated and absolutely amazing gallery show on Monday afternoon, so it's a big surprise-there's no peeking at others work until then;-) The most amazing thing of all is that she posts everyone's email commentary and adds her own comments to each and every piece! That's a lot of work and dedication. I think I counted about 40 submissions once!
So Hats off to you Adele-You Rock!

I also want to share my finish to a special Travelling Tangle from Ria Matheussen who sent me this:

After much pondering I came up with this:


I started with "Gust", the curling pattern that I guess sort of represents wind. It's a new pattern for me and felt a little awkward drawing it, but I wanted something curling and organic transitioning out of the end of Ria's "Zander" start. I didn't intend for it to look so stormy but then when I started working on the florally, viney bits I really got into the contrast that started to happen. This was truly a Zen experience because I had absolutely no idea where this was going. I thought I was finished, rotated it and realized it was slightly off balance so I added a little "Sprangle". 
Thank you Ria! I was so out of my comfort zone when I started this and I'm really pleased with the results.




Thanks so much for visiting my blog.  Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me!




7 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful result Michelle, I really love it.
    Coming out of the comfortzone and than creating such a nice tile is giving a great satisfaction, istn't it?
    Thanks for sharing this experience. Yours will appear on my blog on the 15 th. of August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria! Yes, outside the comfort zone is where the magic happens. This was truly a wonderful collaboration;-)

      Delete
  2. These both are beautiful, really an inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne! I had a lot of fun with both of these;-)

      Delete
  3. What a Firework your IAST tile is! I Love it Howard you Play with the colours,

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the travelling tile is amazing , Ria and Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone! This was a special one, both a challenge and a joy to complete. Let me know if you ever want to exchange a Travelling Tangle;-)

      Delete