Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Diva Challenge#355, Joey #207/It's a String Thing #234 Duet

"Verve"

A challenge so nice, I did it twice;-) I love "Verve"! It's been a while since I've used any of my tiles because I've been so focused on my many journals and eco-print papers. I pulled out an experimental piece where I tried a bubble technique I saw somewhere. It was so long ago that I don't even remember how to do it. I had a small stash of these blue bubble tiles that I've never used. I have a vague recollection that I made them for a Travelling Tangles swap I never followed through on.
I wanted to keep it light so I used the Staedtler Triplus Fineliners in two shades of grey and one lavender. I used a Tombow brush marker to shade.

The starter


Verve II
I was wiling away a rainy morning at the cafe, watching a YouTube video when a new one from one of my fave channels popped up on my feed. I was reminded of a new brush pen I got at Daiso last week and fortunately had it with me as well as this colored tile I've been toting around.


Joey 207 & IAST 234 Duo-Challenge

my Monday morning set up
Joey #207 & IAST #234 Duo-Challenge

When I saw Joey's ribbon flourish, I immediately thought of the black shiny ribbons that Jem (aka The Ragged Ray) does frequently on her pieces...so that started me off and I was happy to see Pokeroot (one of my Mac 'n Cheese patterns) featured too. Late Tuesday evening when I got home from work, I got the IAST challenge and did this:

Late Tuesday night
which way to place the string?
This was almost too easy

Most of you who comment here have mentioned that these Duo-challenges are your favorites. Thank you so much for all of your encouraging feedback because if not for your lovely comments, I probably would have given up on these a while ago.
I have a Love/Hate process with these. It is literally a roller coaster of doubt and triumph as I work my way through one and I have to stop and start a lot. This one took me all day.
A couple of you have requested a video of my process. Unfortunately, I just don't have the bandwidth to produce and edit videos, but I'll do my best to photograph some steps when I can remember.

My Multi-Media Art Journal
Last weeks Diva Challenge deconstructed

"Aimee"

Thanks so much for stopping by! Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me;-)









29 comments:

  1. Love your Verve! It almost looks like two totally different drawings. One with color added into it, and the other very muted.
    And the one with reds, purples, and greens! Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deborah! I could draw Verve all day long😉

      Delete
  2. You created a collection of wonderful tiles this week again, Michele! My favorites are the double challenge and Verve 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pair of Verve are both so you, two of your styles, the soft and the bold. I've been using the Tombow blender pen later to soften ink links without the craziness of a water brush.

    Your shiny black Jem ribbon looks great - wish I'd have thought of that for my tile this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem! I really enjoyed the Zen of Verve this week 😉 and thanks for the ribbon inspiration!

      Delete
  4. First of all I would like to thank you for another splendid video. I have put it already to my favorits.
    As usual, you show us wonderful tiles and I love your two Verve tiles, especially the "pale" one. I really like coloured backgrounds and I love your choices of colour, but this one is so delicate, it is gorgeous Michele. The combinations of the two other challenges are also very nice, especially with the lovely shadows and a beautiful ribbons going trough the two tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ria! I'm glad you liked that video. I could watch her draw all day😉

      Delete
  5. There you go again, loads of stuff, all different and all you. I like the journal page - I'm still a bit cautious with mine so far but I WILL get going soon. I WILL! As for the Verve tiles, these are magic. My normal taste is for the vibrant colours and yet that quiet one attracts me too. Thank you for sharing, M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret! The multi media journaling is a whole new thing for me and I can get impatient with it sometimes because it takes so long. Marta (the artist at Maremi Small Art) makes it look so easy.

      Delete
  6. Michelle, I love the fineness of your first Verve tile and the boldness of the second. I don't know how you manage to marry the joey and IAST tiles so nicely. It's always a treat to see and study. Your Journal page is beautiful too. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate! I had forgotten how much I love drawing Verve. I don't know I manage those duos either 😉

      Delete
  7. Verve II is my favorite here, although your Duo-challenges always are the best ;-) I’m not surprised this one took you a day: it’s really worth the time and energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilse! Verve II is
      my fave too 😉

      Delete
  8. I like your verve tiles. I struggle with the composition of other patterns with verve. You do it so well. Awesome posting - your journal pages are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! Fortunately the bubbles on the tile helped;-)

      Delete
  9. I love both Verve tiles, while soooo very different :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shading on your first verve tile, Michele. it looks so natural and voluptuous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aimee napping in the sun, such a cutie! I love the Verve II tile, the deep colors with the highlighting you've done is really beautiful! Really lovely duo challenge as well! I love the bead string and its accompanying shadow curling through the tiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Lisa! from Aimee too;-) I had to take a long break before attacking those drop shadows LOL!

      Delete
  12. I love your Verve too! The first one on the bubbly paper is so smooth and comes so natural and the second is brave and bold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This week my fav is last week's deconstructed DIVA journal tile. I wished I had the guts to just go ahead and do something too, but I have like to left hands. One day though! Your first Verve tile is gorgeous, so light and delicate and perfect line drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Susie! I had the idea of possibly deconstructing that piece when I made it. Multi media art journaling...who knew!?! I have sooooo many old tiles awaiting their greater purpose;-)

      Delete
  14. The first tile is my favorite, so soft and squishy, like a basket full of Angora wool. Love your journal, too. The bubble background!!!! I had to look for the video, and will now have to give it a go. You have done it again. Expanded my curiosity and given me another fun technique!! Thank you! Give Aimee a little belly rub for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jennifer! I was a bit concerned about a soapy film interfering with the pen but it worked ok. The belly rubs are always tempting but we all know the trap that awaits;-)

      Delete
  15. Super Verve tile, I like the way it moves.

    ReplyDelete